Determining Liability in Motorcycle Accidents - Longview, TX
Motorcycle accidents are some of the most damaging types of collisions. Motorcycles lack the protective shell and other safety features passenger vehicles provide, so riders frequently get thrown from their bikes in a crash. As a result, motorcycle accident injuries are often catastrophic and sometimes fatal.
Determining liability in motorcycle accidents is essential to getting accident victims or surviving descendants compensation for collision damages. The motorcycle accident lawyers at G.R. Akin, P.C., in Longview, TX, thoroughly investigate a crash, collect evidence to prove liability, and pursue financial compensation for their client’s losses.
Essential Elements of a Motorcycle Accident Claim
When filing a personal injury claim for damages related to a motorcycle accident, the plaintiff must establish some essential elements to prove crash liability:
- The defendant had a duty of care to the plaintiff
- The defendant breached that duty of care by failing to drive in a reasonably safe manner
- The defendant’s reckless or negligent actions were a direct cause of the motorcycle accident
- The plaintiff suffered physical, emotional, or financial losses related to the collision
Frequent Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Although they are called accidents, crashes very rarely happen by chance. Collisions are usually the result of a driver who acts recklessly or negligently. Many driving practices can cause someone to be held liable for a motorcycle accident. Some of the most frequent causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Failing to adhere to posted traffic signs or signals (running through a red light or stop sign, making an illegal turn, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, etc.)
- Failing to check blind spots
- Passing over a double line
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Evidence to Support Liability Claims
Drivers accused of causing an accident are unlikely to admit fault, so our Longview lawyers must rely on evidence to prove liability. Our legal team works with accident recreationists to collect evidence and determine what caused the crash. Some of the most crucial evidence for determining liability in a motorcycle accident includes:
- Photos or videos of the accident and crash scene (including pictures of property damage and accident injuries)
- Witness testimony
- Police reports
- Expert testimony from accident recreationists
Driver negligence is frequently the cause of motorcycle accidents, but not always. It is essential to explore all potential sources of liability following a motorcycle crash. Poor road conditions, mechanical failures, and mechanical defects can cause motorcycle accidents. When these factors result in a collision, liable parties may include the municipality responsible for road maintenance, a parts manufacturer, or a mechanic. Our Longview lawyers can gather the necessary evidence to establish liability and hold these parties accountable for motorcycle accident damages.
Get In Touch
Motorcycle accidents frequently result in physical, emotional, and financial losses. The lawyers at G.R. Akin, P.C., are prepared to assist you or your loved one in pursuing maximum compensation for accident losses. To find out how our lawyers prove liability for a motorcycle accident, contact our law firm online or call (903) 297-8929 and request a legal consultation.