A construction site is full of hazards, any one of which can cause serious injury. From heavy machinery to unstable or unsteady walkways and ladders, an accident can take place on a construction site in the blink of an eye. In Longview, TX, the construction accident attorneys at G.R. Randy Akin, P.C. know how to investigate an incident, determine which party was responsible, and aggressively pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries. With 35 years of experience between Mr. Akin and Mr. Greg Burton, you can trust our track record to get the job done.
What to Do after a Construction Site Accident
If you have been hurt in an accident on a construction site, taking several steps can help to preserve the evidence needed to make a successful claim for damages:
- Take photos of the accident scene including any loose scaffolding, signs (or lack thereof) warning of danger, containers of chemicals, and any other hazards on-site. If you are not able to take photos, ask a trusted friend or family member to do so for you.
- Call for emergency medical assistance if your injuries require on-the-scene attention.
- Report the accident to human resources and any supervisor on-site, and request a written report be made.
- Talk to witnesses about what they saw, and be sure to take down their names and contact information. Many times construction workers are on a different job when your case comes up for settlement or trial and knowing how to contact your witnesses immediately after the accident for a statement will preserve the evidence and ensure their testimony is accurate.
- Keep your medical records on hand so you can prove how badly you were injured and what type of care or treatment was required.
It is also critical to call an attorney right away. You will want to focus on your recovery, and having a qualified attorney on your side gives you the peace of mind you need to make your health your focus.
Injuries from construction accidents can be life-changing and require long term care. Let an attorney fight for what you deserve.
Common Types of Construction Accidents
There are many types of construction site accidents, for instance:
- Truck and equipment accidents: Large pieces of machinery are in play on a construction site, as are large trucks and other vehicles. It is possible to have an accident while operating any one of these vehicles and the injuries can be catastrophic due to the sheer size and weight of these machines. It is not uncommon for victims to suffer massive internal damage, broken bones, spinal cord injury, and even death.
- Falls: There are high workplaces on construction sites, and unless the walkway and other access to high places are secured, a fall is not uncommon.
- Fires: Construction sites typically contain flammable materials, gas lines, and other sources of gas. Proper storage is key to avoiding a fire that rages out of control and causes serious destruction.
- Electrical mishaps: Electrocution is a common construction site accident when equipment has not been properly maintained or inspected.
Regardless of how you were injured, if you were hurt while on a construction site, you may be entitled to damages.
Determining liability in this special kind of personal injury case requires taking a close look at the safety regulations and the parties involved. On a construction job site, there are typically workers, supervisors, contracted labor, and other individuals. Each of these parties is entitled to safe conditions and any of these parties can cause or contribute to an accident. Mr. Akin and Mr. Burton fight tirelessly for Longview clients and those in surrounding communities by investigating the facts, pinpointing the cause of the accident, and holding negligent parties accountable.
Reach Out to Our Firm
For help with construction site accidents, contact our Longview firm online or call us at (903) 297-8929 today. We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, so there is no upfront fee or money out of your pocket unless you are compensated.